
Jeanswest’s 53 years of operation in Australia are set to end. Photo: Facebook.
Jeanswest is the latest clothing outlet to end its operations in Australia, after it was announced its parent company, Harbour Guidance Pty Ltd, had entered voluntary administration.
Across the Region network, stores will close in Tuggeranong, Bega, Wollongong, Albury and Griffith. Across the country, 90 outlets will shut, leaving 600 employees out of a job.
Jeanswest, which was founded in perth in 1972, previously entered administration in 2020, when it was rescued and kept alive by Hong Kong-owned Harbour Guidance Pty Ltd.
But on Wednesday (26 March), the parent company was placed in the hands of melbourne-based insolvency experts Pitcher Partners Melbourne with no prospect of the physical stores being saved.
“The owners have done everything they can to keep Jeanswest going, but market conditions mean sustaining bricks-and-mortar stores is not viable and unlikely to improve,” administrator Lindsay Bainbridge said.
“They deeply regret the impact of store closures on their team members and their customers, and we will be working now with teams across the country.”
Mr Bainbridge said the company had fought for five years to revive the…